Shanghai Theatre Academy (STA) and Shanghai Conservatory of Music (SHCM) invite GITIS students apply to the online course “The Belt and Road Art Talent Training Program”.
As the most famous historical route in the world which connects the East and the West, the Silk Road has presented itself as the most colorful cultural corridor. The glory of the Silk Road in the past should be the starting point where the cultures of different countries meet and continue growing. In order to better enhance cultural exchanges with the countries along the Silk Road and strengthen the training of talents, Shanghai Conservatory of Music (SHCM) and Shanghai Theatre Academy (STA), under the policy support of the Shanghai Municipal Education Commission, will jointly organize the Belt and Road Art Talent Training Program online 2021 on the basis of their respective characteristics and discipline advantages to achieve the grand goal of creating a brilliant future through education.
The Belt and Road Art Talent Training Program 2021 will enable students from countries along the land and maritime Silk Road to learn Chinese art and culture in a multi-dimensional, multi-angle and multi-faceted manner through the study of both traditional Chinese folk music and traditional Chinese opera. The STA will focus on exploring opera art aesthetics, the relationship between music and performance, as well as the interweaving connection between Chinese tradition and the culture of the countries along the Belt and Road in terms of the artistic performance in opera art. The SHCM will invite prestigious educators, performing artists and young teachers to deliver a comprehensive programme for international students to learn appreciate and experience the most typical traditional Chinese and foreign musical instruments along the Silk Road.
The programme will last three weeks from Jun. 15, 2021 to Jul. 4, 2021.
1. The course provided by STA contains repertoire appreciation, lectures by famous artists, basic acting skills, short excerpt learning, and documentary videos to help the students understand the history, status quo and the prospect of traditional Chinese opera and its training system, as well as the stories of the practitioners ‘ striving and success. These units present the traditional Chinese opera & its culture in the form of live broadcast and video learning. It provides high-quality documentary videos/lectures and the interactive online communication with the prominent professors and performers at the same time. In addition to the group class, students can also book individual online tutoring for more personalized needs. After the students complete all the units online, the Shanghai Theatre Academy will assess the students through performance presentations, written tests, and oral presentations.
2. The SHCM: lecture series, workshop, roundtable discussion and seminar. Professors from the Folk Music Department of the SHCM will run a workshop on the performance techniques and creative concepts of Chinese folk music, while those from the Folk Music Department and Musicology Department will deliver a lecture series. Besides, a concert of folk music along the land and maritime Silk Road will be held to display students’ achievements.
IV. Enrollment Quota
A total of 30 applicants will be enrolled as scholarship students. The SHCM will enroll 15 music students enrolled by SHCM and 15 opera students enrolled by STA will study together. The scholarship will cover the students’ application fee, tuition, and textbooks. This program is, in principle, open to foreign students outside China between the age of 16 and 30. Please refer to the following website for nationality limitations. The organizing committee will assess the application materials and select scholarship winners accordingly. The list of selected participants will be announced on the official website of the SHCM and that of the STA.
V. STA Application Requirements on Opera Students
1. Application Deadline: May 15th, 2021
2. Online Application: http://isoadmission.sta.edu.cn/ Download Users Guide at http://iso.sta.edu.cn/30/list.htm Materials required to upload as attachments include:
1) Passport scan
2) Photos (One full front headshot and one ordinary life photo)
3) University degree or enrollment certificate
4) CV and other materials related to the application
5) Recommendation letters are preferred but NOT demanding
3. Related costs
Scholarship students will be exempted from the application fee, tuition and textbooks.
VI. Contact Information
Shanghai Theatre Academy Contact person: Shirley Zou E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Room 208, Zhongyi Building (2), No. 630 Huashan Road, Shanghai 200040, P.R. China