Is the dormitory provided?

We are sure you’ll be happy to hear the answer to this question. All foreign GITIS students can live in the dormitory. It is not free, but not very expensive — it costs around 250 dollars per month.

Is the dormitory located far from the university?

The dormitory is located in the center of Moscow (45B Trifonovskaya str., Rizhskaya metro station), and the distance to the academic building depends on the chosen faculty. In any case it takes no longer than 1 hour to get from there to any faculty building, and some students of Acting and Directing departments use bikes or skateboards to get to their classes.

Is it better to live in the dormitory or to rent an apartment?

One-bedroom apartment near the main university building will cost around 700-800 dollars per month to rent. You can also rent one flat together with other students to pay less.

Are there any special conditions for the foreign students in the dormitory?

No. The rules are identical for everyone: for instance, you can prepare for your classes, including rehearsing, but you are not allowed to smoke, drink alcohol or have visitors after 11 pm.

Who is responsible for the dormitory accommodation?

You can receive any information about the dormitory accommodation at the dean’s office. You can also call dormitory administrator +7 495 684-06-61 or superintendant +7 495 681-66-02.

Where can I get information about the apartment rentals?

The most popular apartment rental websites are CIAN, and Yandex realty.

Applying for the courses

When do I submit my application and what documents are required?

To apply for the full course of study applicants need to come to Moscow and submit documents (passport, CV and education certificate) in person in June.

How can I apply for the course remotely?

Students who choose summer or short-term courses should send required files — copies of a passport and education certificate — to the international department’s email —

Currency exchange

Where can I change money?

It’s better to change money at the large banks, e.g. Sberbank, VTB, Alfa-bank, Otkrytiye bank. There you’ll get a receipt for every exchange operation.

Usually in Russia you will find a better exchange rate for rubles than in your country. It is also better not to change a lot of money at еру airport, as the rates there are not good.

Which documents do I need for the currency exchange?

For the currency exchange at the bank you’ll need a passport and a document confirming the right to stay in the country (i.e. visa).

Can I pay in dollars or euros in shops?

We don’t want to disappoint you, but you can pay in different currency only in duty-free shops in the airports. In all other places cash payments are made in rubles. But you can pay with dollar or euro payment cards — you will be charged according to the exchange rate.

How can I change other currency, not dollars or euros?

All large banks mentioned above work with a range of currencies, including Swedish and Danish krone, pound sterling, yen, yuan, Swiss franc, etc.

Can I pay with some other means than cash?

We are sure you will be glad to hear that at almost every large shop, café or club you can pay with a card or use a mobile payment system — Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay. There will be corresponding stickers at the cash desks and often on the doors of the property.


Which food should one definitely taste when coming to Russia?

To understand the specifics of the Russian cuisine you need to taste something you won’t be able to eat elsewhere. First of all, these are soups — shchi (cabbage soup), borsch and okroshka (cold soup made from quass or kefir). You should also try salads, such as vinaigrette and sourcrout. And, of course, Russian holodets (meat jelly) and buckwheat porridge.

Where can I buy ready-to-eat food?

In large supermarkets alongside with different products and ready-to-cook food you can also find ready-to-eat dishes — packed salads, pastry and sandwiches.

Are there any fast food restaurants in Russia?

Yes, in Moscow you can find major worldwide fast food chains, such as McDonalds, Subway, Starbucks or Costa Coffee — familiar brands are broadly represented here. In the capital there are also similar places offering traditional Russian food, e.g. Kroshka-kartoshka (potato dishes with various fillings), Teremok (pancakes and borsch) or Mu-Mu (shashlik and dumplings).

Can I find dishes from other countries’ cuisines in Russia?

Yes. There are plenty of cafes offering national dishes. Asian cuisine is very popular, such as Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese, as well as Caucasian and Central Asian. English pubs, bars, steak houses and pizzerias are also happy to greet their customers — European cuisine can be found almost everywhere.

Where can I buy vegetarian food?

Vegetarian food is sold in large supermarkets, such as Auchan and Perekrestok, as well as at the markets where it comes directly from the farmers. The largest are Dorogomilovsky and Cheremushkinsky markets, as well as Rogozhsky rows. Of course, you don’t have to search and cook vegetarian food by yourself — you can always visit specialized restaurants and cafes. There are lots of them in the capital, and some of them are situated in the creative clusters and have reasonable prices — for instance, Fruits & Veges at Artplay, Prasad at Bauman’s garden and Taste and Colour (“Вкус & цвет”) at Flacon.


Where should I go if I fall ill?

Of course we wish you to be healthy and wealthy. However, everything can happen. When applying for a student visa you need to buy a mandatory health insurance certificate valid for the whole period of stay in the country. At the same time you can go to the private clinics. The price of medical consultation starts from 20 dollars, and doctor home visits — from 35 dollars. First and emergency aid in Russia is free.

To use a full range of medical services you can also buy voluntary health insurance certificate (ДМС). Its price depends on the chosen range and level of services, approximately 600 dollars per year.

Can I miss classes because of the illness and for how long?

If you miss classes for a serious reason (illness) you need to provide a sickness certificate to the dean’s office. Usually ambulant treatment lasts no longer that a week, however it can be prolonged if necessary.

Do I always need a prescription to buy medicines?

No. Medicines are divided into two groups — prescription drugs and over the counter medicines. For instance, you don’t need a prescription to buy vitamins of flu medicines, but some painkillers and cough medicines are prescription drugs. As a rule over the counter medicines are displayed directly at the pharmacy’s shelves and prescription drugs are given by a pharmacist who can also offer you advice if needed.


Can I take entrance exams in other language than Russian?

No, there is only one state language in Russia — Russian, and all entrance exams are taken only in Russian. However in artistic universities the main attention is paid to the theatrical talents of foreign applicants and not to their perfect pronunciation.

What is the working language at GITIS?

You should be glad to hear that as long as GITIS is located in Moscow, and Moscow is the capital of Russia, all Bachelor, Specialist, Master and Postgraduate programs are taught in Russian. However we’re willing to offer you short-term courses in English and Chinese. GITIS also offers Russian language courses for the applicants.

Are there any educational radio or TV programs for studying language?

Yes. For instance, We know Russian (MIR-TV), Living word and Russian lessons. Reading (Kultura), and Echo of Moscow radio offers Speaking Russian program on Sundays.


What cultural sights should I visit in Moscow?

Those who want to see the masterpieces of Russian (and international) art you should definitely visit Tretyakov Gallery, which has two locations nowadays. Historical one is situated near Tretyakovskaya metro station. New Tretyakovka is situated at Krymsky val, between Oktyabrskaya and Park Kultury metro stations. Tretyakov Gallery was founded in 1856 and stores masterpieces of Russian art from 12th to 21st century.

One of the famous Russian cultural centers is Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. There you’ll find 700,000 pieces of art, since Ancient Egypt till the beginning of the 21stcentury — ancient mosaics, icons, paintings of the medieval European artists, sculptures, archeological pieces, and one of the world’s richest collection of impressionists and post-impressionists..

Being the student of the country’s major theatre university, you should definitely visit Bolshoy Theatre, situated at Teatralnaya Square in Moscow. Near it there is Maly Theatre, also called Ostrovsky House after great Russian playwright whose plays are staged here with respect to the original works.

The best place for cultural activities is Gorky Park or the opposite Museon sculptures park . After you visit these places you can consult your Moscow friends about your further routes.

What should I see outside the city?

If you go to the north-east from Moscow, you’ll find the Star City. Previously it was a restricted area where Soviet and then Russian astronauts were trained. They are still trained there, however the area is no longer restricted. There you’ll find a real-size model of the submerged Mir station, giant centrifuge for flight modeling and hydro lab where water substitutes zero-gravity for the astronauts.

You can visit Kuskovo manor to enjoy the beautiful architecture of the 18th century. At this place called Moscow Versailles grand balls for the upper class where held, accommodating around 30,000 guests. There are palace, greenhouse, church, bell tower and beautiful garden with alcoves there.

Near Moscow there is also an estate museum of the great Russian writer and playwright Anton Chekhov called Melikhovo. You’d better reserve the whole day for such journey.

Are there any special events for students at GITIS?

Of course, every faculty has its own events. Students of the Directing faculty, for instance, every year make actors’ parties for the newcomers to welcome them. At the end of every year farewell ceremonies for the graduates are held. Exhibitions of the costume designers are regularly organized at GITIS. Students stage graduation performances at the classrooms as well as two institute’s stages. So you’ll definitely have an interesting life!


Which entrance exams do I need to take?

You’ll be happy to hear that foreign citizens take only special subjects, depending on the chosen specialty. It means the creative competition. You can be not fluent in Russian, but talent is a must.

Are there any age limitations?

You’ll be glad to hear that according to the Russian Federation’s constitution there are no age limitations in higher educational establishments.

How long do I need to study at GITIS?

The higher education course duration in Russia depends on the chosen specialty and can differ even within the same university. For instance, Dramatic theatre and cinema actors study for 4 years, and Theatre stage designers — for 5 years.

When do the classes start and end?

You will surely be glad to hear this news. You can say that at GITIS students study at their leisure. The timetable is created in order to be comfortable for the students. Some study in the morning, while others in the evening. As long as in theatrical universities students don’t ususally hurry home, the doors of the university are open from 9 am till 11 pm. At Acting department classes end at 10 pm, at Directing — at 23 pm.

Can foreigners study at GITIS free of charge?

You will surely be happy to hear the answer to this question.Yes, they can. In order to do that you need to apply to the Rossotrudnichestvo representative office in your country and get the educational quota.

What is the interval between the exam sessions?

GITIS as well as the majority of Russian universities has exam sessions twice a year — in summer (May-June) and in winter (December-January). Therefore the semester lasts for 5 months. The rest two months are holidays.

Will GITIS diploma be valid in my country?

Yes. GITIS diploma nowadays is eligible in the whole world and corresponds to the Bachelor, Specialist or Master degree (depending on the specialty).

How can I pay for the studying?

You will be happy to hear the answer to this question. As a rule you pay for your studying by transferring money to the university’s bank account. You’ll be given all necessary account details after you pass entrance exams and sign a contract. You can also pay in cash in any Moscow bank.


What’s the best way to move within the city and between the cities?

When you come to Moscow you understand that the fastest and the most reliable transport in here is metro. There are no traffic jams, trains arrive every 1-5 minutes and the price is fixed regardless of the distance. At least for now. You can buy one ticket and travel all day long. If you need to go off the city limits you can use a suburban train. To travel between remote cities you can use train or plane (which is, of course, much faster).

Can I go on a guided tour in the Moscow metro?

Yes. Many stations are heritage assets and are protected by the state. The visitors are shown the most beautiful metro stations, told about their history and interesting facts. The guides will tell you the legends and myths of the Moscow underground and show you some objects closed for the general public. Tours are available in English and Chinese. You can visit Moscow metro official website for more details.

How should I pay for my trips within the city?

You can buy a ticker directly from the driver at the buses, trolleybuses and trams — it will cost a little less than 1 dollar. There are also special kiosks at the stops where tickets are a bit cheaper. Metro tickets are sold at the counters at the stations and cost approximately 1 dollar.

If you plan to use different means of transport including metro you should buy a monthly travel card that costs 36 dollars and will allow you to travel without any limitations. Such cards are available at kiosks at the bus stops and at the metro ticket counters.

Is it possible to travel through the whole country by train and how long will it take?

Yes, there is a train from Moscow to Vladivostok No. 001/002 called Russia. . One way trip takes 6 days and covers 9,260 km.


Which is the warmest place in Russia and is it always cold in Moscow?

Russia is the largest country in the world lying in the several climate zones from subtropical to arctic. The warmest cities, Sochi and Krasnodar, are situated in the south. Average summer temperature here is around +24 °С (75 °F), with a maximum of +44 °С (111 °F).

The winter is rather cold in Moscow, while the summer is rather warm. Average summer temperature here is around +22...+25 °С (72...77 °F), while in winter it’s —5...—10 °С (14...23 °F). The climate in Moscow is continental. The summer is not very hot, and the warm weather lasts from the end of May till the middle of September. The usual temperature is above +22 °С (72 °F), and during one week the temperature is higher than +30 °С (86 °F).

Does it often rain in Russia?

It depends on the city. Moscow annually has around 60 sunny days (most of them are in August). And there are around 40 rainy days during the year. At all other times it’s usually partly cloudy.

Is there a central heating in the flats and how does it work?

Central heating in Moscow flats (including GITIS dormitory) is not linked to certain dates but to the weather. When the temperature is lower than +8 °С (46 °F) for 5 days the central heating is turned on. Accordingly, when the temperature is higher than +8 °С (46 °F) for 5 days in spring, it’s turned off.


What is the visa issuing process ?

You will be glad to hear the answer to this question. For the entrance exams you can come with the tourist visa.

The process of getting a tourist visa may differ from country to country, but for sure you will need a booking confirmation.It means that you have to book the place where you will live and then apply for a tourist visa.

If you are lucky to be accepted to GITIS, we will issue an invitation letter, and when you come to Russiayou’ll be issued a multi-entry visa for one year.

How long does it take to get a visa?

It takes no longer than 7 days to get an educational visa for the foreigners.

Is the visa prolonged if I continue my education (e.g. take Master programme)?

Visa issued for one year is prolonged every year as long as the person studies at GITIS.

Other questions

How to get from the airport to the city?

You have two options: Aeroexpress train and taxi. Aeroexpress costs around 6 euros and it is a good option because it has predictable arrival times and isn’t affected by traffic jams. You can also use Uber or Yandex taxi — it will cost you around 15 euros. These applications have a fixed price and all Russian airports have free Wi-Fi. But bear in mind that Moscow has a big problem with traffic jams.

Do they speak English in Moscow?

You’d better not rely on that. Download apps like Yandex metro, Google translate and taxi apps, as well as Google maps and Yandex maps — they’ll be very helpful.

Is the tap water safe to drink?

It’s better to buy water in bottles.

How do I use roaming?

There are several mobile carriers in Russia. The most popular are Beeline, MTS and Megafon. When you come to Moscow you can automatically connect to one of them — you should just choose the one you need in your phone’s menu and the roaming will be activated. If you stay in Russia for a long period of time, you’d better buy a local sim-card.

How do I start using internet?

There are free Wi-Fi networks both at the university buildings and in the dormitory. Every student receives personal login and password after the admission.

Do students get money during their study?

No, all foreign students sign educational contracts that don’t include scholarship allowance.

Are the student allowed to work and where?

The students can work if it doesn’t interfere with their studying. If you attend all classes and perform all tasks and still have spare time you can work at a fast food restaurant, as a promoter, sales consultant or foreign language tutor (your native language). You can also take part in the crowd shots in TV series or even get a bit role.

Is it true that GITIS students have free meals?

If you are accepted, you’ll find out that it’s true. Every student can eat one bowl of Russian porridge every day for free — but you need to pay for everything else.

Sign inSign up